Male readers be advised! Using your laptop placed on your knees to read this post may cause your testicles to heat up quite significantly. However surprisingly, this is not due to the heat dissipated by many laptops, but rather due to the positioning of the legs. A study just published online in the journal Fertility and Sterility investigated ways to avoid the testicles from overheating while using a laptop computer.
Right and left scrotal temperatures were measured in 29 volunteers while working on the laptop in different positions: With closely approximated legs, with closely approximated legs with a lap pad below the laptop, and sitting with legs apart at a 70° angle with a lap pad below the laptop. After 60 minutes with closed legs, temperature increased about 2.4 degrees Celsius, using the lap pad yielded a slightly smaller increase of 2.1 degrees, while spreading the legs resulted in a modest increase of 1.4 degrees.
The authors conclude that prevention of scrotal hyperthermia in laptop users is not feasible, although we would like to disagree and suggest using a flat surface, such as a table or desk, to position your laptop in order to preserve your fertility.
Image credit: Pitel…
*This blog post was originally published at*
Other Related Health Posts:
- Heart Hospital and Glassworks Create Virtual Heart
- One of the WORST Winter Mistakes You Can Make if You Live in These "25 Coldest Cities"
- Is Interval Cardio Performed on a Treadmill the 30 Minute Fat Loss Solution?
- Skyrocketing Male Infertility May Threaten Mankind’s Survival
- Popular Weight Loss App Ineffective In Achieving Weight Loss